Pope John Paul II Polish Catholic Centre
The Polish Catholic Centre in Narrabundah was opened in 1993 and is the headquarters of the Society of Christ order of missionaries to the Polish diaspora for Australia and New Zealand.
It has a Chapel, a hostel with eight rooms with kitchen & laundry facilities. The accommodation is available to travellers for a reasonable tariff.
Its facilities are being used by the Polish community for meetings and gatherings particularly by the Polish Ex-Servicemen’s Association in Australia, Canberra Branch and the Polish Seniors Club of the ACT.
The first Poles arrived in Canberra and Queanbeyan in 1948 requiring pastoral care. This came in 1951 with Father K. Wolak. Another two priests from different orders continued attending to the needs of the Polish community. The Society of Christ, identified by the abbrev., TChr, commenced in 1972 with Father Gebicki.